NEUROFEEDBACK TRAINING FOR ADD/ADHD Symptoms
Neurofeedback may be used as an alternative treatment to ADHD. Although NeurOptimal neurofeedback training does not treat specific conditions, specific symptoms are alleviated because you are improving the overall functioning of the central nervous system.
Luigi's Story: Neurofeedback training for ADHD
A mom and son discuss how neurofeedback helped his ADHD symptoms. Luigi's school performance improved significantly with neurofeedback training. This interview took place a year and a half after he completed 3 months of weekly neurofeedback sessions.
Research On Neurofeedback For ADHD
- Does NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback Help To Improve Focus/Attention? "A Kid, An Idea, A Study And A Big Payoff" by Jules Ford, Founder of OptiMind Neurofeedback, Focus, Clarity, Serenity
- Six Case Studies Examining the Effectiveness of a Comprehensive Adaptive Approach to Neurofeedback for Attention Deficit in an Educational Setting by Shannon Warwick, MA. Union Institute and University at Vermont College,Asheville, North Carolina
- Effectiveness of EEG Biofeedback as Compared with Methylphenidate in the Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Clinical Outcome Study by Mohammad Ali Nazari1, Laurent Querne2, Alain De Broca2, Patrick Berquin2. Department of Psychology, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran; 2Department of Paediatric Neurology, Lab. Neurosciences Fonction- nelles & Pathologies, Amiens, France.
DID YOU KNOW?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has recognized Biofeedback as a 'Level 1 – Best Support" in their report “Evidence-based Child and Adolescent Psycho-social Interventions” as an intervention for Attention & Hyperactivity Behaviors.
The Pros And Cons About Neurofeedback
NEUROFEEDBACK FOR ADHD & ADD IN THE NEWS
- CNN: Brain training to help with anxiety and ADHD. Linda Ciampa tells us how some patients with severe anxiety or ADHD are using neurofeedback instead of medications to change their brainwaves and help their conditions.
- New York Times Article: A Natural Fix for ADHD
- The Washington Post: Therapists are using neurofeedback to treat ADHD, PTSD and other conditions – So he tried neurofeedback, hoping this controversial treatment ... He uses it to treat depression, ADHD, chronic pain and some other conditions.
- ADDitude: Can Neurofeedback Help My Child with ADHD? – A recent study by Dr. Naomi Steiner at Tufts University found thatneurofeedback reduces symptoms of inattention and impulsivity in ADHD students.
- NPR: Train The Brain: Using Neurofeedback To Treat ADHD – Neurofeedback is better for people with ADHD, she says, because it provides constant feedback during a session...
- Boston Globe: School-based brain training shown to alleviate ADHD – Steiner's previous research determined that neurofeedback helped alleviateADHDsymptoms in children immediately after they completed ...
- NBCNews.com: Kids With ADHD Can Train Their Brains, Study Finds
- Quartz BRAINPOWER: Scientists think you can rewire your brain without taking drugs or changing your lifestyle. The evidence is not definitive, but there's growing research to suggest that neurofeedback could be used to treat ADHD, migraines, PTSD...
ADHD/ADD Blog Posts
- Brain Training for Kids: What are the best brain training options? It's back-to-school time and many parents are looking for ways to improve their childrens' school and athletic performance. "Brain training" is the...Read more
- ADHD and Diet: What foods to Eat and Avoid: Research just published in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry shows a link between a mother's diet during pregancy and conduct disorder and ADHD symptoms in her children....Read more
- Results from Neurofeedback in Boulder, CO: Boulder neurofeedback trainer discusses results in children and parents with ADHD and sleep issues; and the effects of neurofeedback on meditation. Interview with Joy Om, NeurOptimal neurofeedback...Read more
Q&A ON the NEUROPTIMAL NEUROFEEDBACK System
What is NeurOptimal® neurofeedback training?
The way global information based neurofeedback works is giving your brain intelligent information about itself so that it can optimize it’s functioning. That’s how it can be diagnostically agnostic. Basically, NeurOptimal neurofeedback is teaching the brain to be smarter, learning to come into the present to gather info before it makes a decision rather than doing what’s habitual— anxiety being a common brain habit.
For more information on other neurofeedback systems, visit Zengar’s website, which is the company behind NeurOptimal. NeurOptimal vs. the rest: http://www.zengar.com/the-neuroptimal-neurofeedback-system-difference
Is neurofeedback safe?
Yes. NeurOptimal® neurofeedback is safe for anyone to use. Why? Because nothing is being added to your brain. The training works by alerting your automatic functioning part of the brain to its own actions (this part controls the fear response, flight/flight/freeze, sleep, attentiveness, executive functioning, etc.) so it can ‘see’ its own maladaptive patterns. Because the brain is designed to be responsive to new information, when the Personal Trainer alerts the brain to it’s own functioning the brain will naturally tweak itself to be the most efficient and effective response. It’s as if the brain, upon being alerted to it’s own behaviour says “hey, I’m about to produce a stress response when I’m sitting in a safe space. That’s not efficient or an appropriate response. I’m going to change what I’m doing.”
How does the neurofeedback training work?
When the brain is about to change states and perform an action it produces an electrical “dance” called turbulence. The neurofeedback system identifies the turbulence and through immediately stopping the music/audio in that millisecond the brain’s orienting response is triggered. The orienting response is the process every brain uses to assess changes in their environment. The brain uses auditory changes as it’s primary way to sense change because we can hear 360, as opposed to visual which is limited to 180 degrees of perception.
The orienting response is the brain’s automatic response of ‘coming into the present’ in a similar way as to when you are lost in a daydream and someone calls your name, you automatically orient yourself in the present. This response is triggered when the music stops. It automatically comes in the present and identifies what the needs are for the here-and-now as well as “sees” what it’s about to do automatically. If it identifies an activity that it is about to perform that is not in alignment with present needs it will automatically adjust it’s activity.
For example, if the brain is alerted to come into the present and it ‘sees’ that it is in a safe environment and is reading a book, and it sees it is about to perform a stress response, such as to scan the environment (hypervigilence), it will immediately change it’s functioning to allow for a sustained focus.
The brain is designed to optimize it’s functioning. The neurofeedback system allows for the brain to see it’s own maladaptive habits and change them as it sees fit. There is no outside variable forcing change.
The neurofeedback system is like a mirror and each central nervous system (CNS) changes itself to optimize its own functioning, whether it be an ability to focus when needed, go into sleep mode at night, be calm when there’s no danger, etc.
Do the Effects of NeurOptimal® Training Last?
Training with NeurOptimal® is actually a learning task. You get results because your brain is actively learning, even if you are not doing the learning consciously. So much like reading, once your brain knows how to read, it can’t “not know”. Your brain doesn’t forget. It may get rusty, but the effects of learning remain throughout your lifetime.
However, your brain is living tissue and you can— and will— get "knocked off" by stress, by chemicals, by alcohol, by an anesthetic, by the difficult daily lives we all seem to live. The wonderful thing is, a few booster sessions will get you back to where you were. A "neurofeedback trained brain" is quickly able to utilize the information NeurOptimal® is offering. It's as if the brain says "I know what to do with this!" and it goes through all the steps it went through in the weeks of initial training, but very rapidly. So you quickly get back into your good place.
If you are going through a more difficult time, you can quickly do a session or two at one of our neurofeedback clinics in NYC or LA to recover your optimal flow and functioning. Our system is also available for rent per month is you are a returning client. See pricing >
CONDITIONS THAT ARE HELPED BY NEUROFEEDBACK TRAINING
Although NeurOptimal neurofeedback training does not treat specific conditions, specific symptoms are alleviated because you are improving the overall functioning of the central nervous system.
A recent survey of NeurOptimal trainers comprising 1.2 million sessions found these areas of function improved with training:
- Stress— worry and fearfulness
- Anxiety, panic, hypervigilance
- Sleep disorders
- Learning problems— ADHD symptoms, lack of focus, inability to attend to tasks
- Headaches and migraines
- PTSD and trauma symptoms
- Head and brain injuries
- Cravings and addictions
- Low self-esteem and self-image
- Stuck patterns of thinking and behaving
SCHEDULE A NEUROFEEDBACK SESSION OR RENT A NEUROFEEDBACK HOME UNIT
We have offices in NYC, LA & Boulder. Click here for training options and cost
ABOUT NEUROPTIMAL® NEUROFEEDBACK
NeurOptimal Neurofeedback is created by Zengar and has been around for 20 years. Visit their website for more neurofeedback research and how it works www.zengar.com/the-neuroptimal-neurofeedback-system-difference